Monday, August 14, 2006

Stealth

Remember this movie? It came out about a year ago, in 2005. It stars Jamie Foxx - he received top billing since he'd just won an Academy Award, but since he had won it after the movie was shot, it turns out he only has a bit part - a supporting role to the poor man's Matthew McConaughy, Josh Lucas.

When the film came out, the user reviews on Yahoo savaged it with reviews ranging from D to F. User reviews are usually pretty charitable (it's usually the critics who go in for the kill), so I was pretty reluctant to see this movie. By some twist of ironic circumstance and cajoling, I was persuaded, and then I was in for a treat.

I basically sat through the movie waiting for it to get to "the really bad part," but it never got there. It wasn't a good movie by any measure, with choice scenes like where the pilots explain the definition of a prime number, but somehow it never hit the level of awfulness the reviews primed me (har) to expect. Instead, it was a solid medium-grade flick about the classic story of a robot who comes to life and just needs to be understood.

I wouldn't recommend that you pay money to see it, but if a computer glitch were to accidentally place it in your Netflix queue, it wouldn't be worth the effort to remove.

1 comment:

aquanetta said...

Thanks for the review, sometimes I need to see a movie that's mildly entertaining because my mind doesn't need to be blown all the time.